Don’t know if I’d actually hold a match to myself, but I did set my hair on fire once in the kitchen!
And while I was teaching a class last night at a local hospital, an employee’s car burned up in the parking lot. A large group of spectators started to gather (human nature at work) before the fire department reached the scene.
One thing is certain — Fire grabs and commands attention!
But this post isn’t about setting literal fires, it’s about setting yourself apart from the crowd — creating curiosity and commanding attention in ways that are uniquely yours.
So how do you uncover and use your authentic brilliance to create a powerful personal brand?
1. Know your top five core values.
2. Know your top five strengths (Go to “50 Free Online Tools to Discover Your Strengths, Weaknesses, and Hidden Talents”)
3. List three words that BEST describe you. Keep memory triggers everywhere – on your mirror, computer, the dashboard of your car, in your wallet, etc., as reminders. BE your Descriptors.
4. Clearly define your expertise niche. What is it that you know or do better than anyone else?
5. Remember, emotionally, people are buying YOU as well as your product or service – they’re buying your personality and the lifestyle you represent. YOU are the brand.
6. Consider the total experience your brand offers – everything from your communications and logos to your customer service and the quality of your products or services. Your brand is the intangible perception that exists in the mind of the consumer.
7. Select a signature color and use it whenever/wherever possible – tissue paper, note cards, labels, pens, gift boxes, etc.
8. Create a signature talk – a specific topic that you are an expert on and can give valuable information in a thirty-minute presentation.
9. Interview your top ten clients or customers to find out what THEY feel is truly unique about you.
To create a powerful personal brand and to make sure your business doesn’t go up in flames …
Light yourself on fire!